EVAN M. LOPEZ: Monster Mania, March 2014

Monster Mania, March 2014

This past weekend, I manned my own table at Monster Mania. To those not familiar with this event, it is considered the largest horror convention in the U.S. It always features special guests from the world of horror t.v. and film, in addition to special guests featured in other cultish media. In addition, a large draw is the vast vendor section. Here you can purchase everything from posters to movies and toys, as well as a variety of other amazing and random merchandise. Its truly like a flea market from the other side of reality. 

I have been going to this event for a few years now, and always thought about jump in as a vendor. The "do-it" switch went live and I jumped in big. I spent a few months getting t-shirts screened, prints made, and my whole setup constructed. It became completely worth it to me even before the convention. Creating is my drug, and I was in a pure binge on it. 
This is a small fraction of what could be seen in the event. Sitting at my table I saw the same folks walk by a few times over many hours, simply because they were finding new things each lap around. Though this was the Large ballroom, there few four other similar-sized rooms for a movie theater, guest signing/photo booths, and more vendors. 
Behind my table I hung my large prints to show. So many people came by to chat, peruse the merchandise, and walk away with something new to play with and hang around their abode. It was wonderful to meet so many fans of great horror flicks and art and everything else. I always described the convention as a place for like-minded people to gather happily, and share their enthusiasm. For three days, I experienced it up close. I walked away each night on a complete high. The folks there were so kind and joyful. 

Many people claim to "not get" horror or sci-fi or different pop-culture. But its the same as any entertainment. People gather always to share their enthusiasm for sports or music, and here people gather to psych-out on stuff that screams and roars and sheds blood and guts and rides off into the moonlight. I have loved horror since before I could assemble proper words. This was my element, and I  grooved with it big time. 

The other huge high, was having my little sister there with me. She has been a huge part of my life since she was born. Now in college, she has a full plate, but took the time to come by and help and hang with big bro. We chilled and laughed and soaked everything in together, and she was a COMPLETE NATURAL salesperson! Here we are lording over the creepy table, in the disneyland from the underworld. Thanks Monkey!

When asked if I would be back, by some other great vendors, my answer was a firm "HELL YEAH!". Hopefully reading this, you get the idea to stop The Crowne Plaza hosted Monster Mania, and come visit me. Maybe you even walk away with something of your own?





No comments: