EVAN M. LOPEZ: 5/29 Cover

5/29 Cover


Like many of the more slightly "out there" cover illustrations I am tasked to do, this was created becaus no-one could find a solution they liked. The story revolves around Bassam, an Iraqui immigrant who witnessed the first surge of the war in Iraq, and now watches the war from Philly. After one meeting (and trying to decipher the writer's mixed explanation of the story), I came up with the idea of a man looking back from a serene setting, on the bad dream of the past.

Originally I wanted a realistic "dream bubble" like in a cartoon, but realistic. For obvious reasons this did not work. Instead I mixed photos I took of green a city street, spotty green grass and mud, and the Iraq digital collage, to make it look like the modern time eroded into a wartime scene. Thankfully it printed well.

No comments: